The Student News Site of BASIS Independent McLean

The BIM Bulletin

• August 31Welcome red-tailed hawks! Send your stories, pics, and art to [email protected].

The BIM Bulletin

The BIM Bulletin

One Strength of Our Community

Diversity, to me, entails creating a community of people with a variety of different backgrounds. Whether it be interests, nationalities, or any other factor,  most people praise diverse communities and groups. However, I find that most seek out groups and people that are similar to them where they can blend in.

From preschool to high school, the same people surrounded me. Growing up together, our interests were molded to fit one another’s. The games we played, the videos we watched, and even the songs we listened to. Everyone I knew happened to be just like me in one way or another, whether it be by culture, talents, hobbies, or even intelligence. The people I’d known had always been the same specific group of kids. Same interests, same nationalities, same age. As far as I recall, I’d never had a diverse group of friends. There was never an opportunity. In all honesty, I’d figured that it would be like that until I graduated.

I don’t know what pushed me to transfer to BIM, but I’d like to think that the driving factor was a change of scenery. I was tired of being around the same people for years–the same people that never changed. I sought out a person who didn’t try to fit in, someone who knew they were unique and embraced it. Every person is at least a bit unique, yet only those who are willing to show it are those who are considered new and different. For years, every person I’d spoken to was like a clone of the person before them. Everybody tried to blend into their environment; it was a sea of black and white with no splash of unique color. I looked out for a little bit of color in the monochromatic scheme but to no avail. However, the sad colors have morphed into a rainbow.

Perhaps it’s because this school is comparatively smaller, but it’s special to see people from all around the world gather in one community that brings them together. It’s like a breath of fresh air to hear and see the diverse backgrounds of the BIM community, as opposed to meeting the same type of person every day.

Since BIM’s founding in 2016, the community has continued to represent our various social and ethnic upbringings. The various colors, posters, and people decorating our school are a perfect show of the connection among the members of the BIM community. The school always takes a chance to show appreciation for the cultures that make BIM an inclusive and diverse community. For example, the annual Lunar New Year celebration shares Chinese culture and educates the members of the BIM community. These celebrations used to be rare for me to experience myself, especially at school or with my peers. Being at a school that celebrates and embraces its diversity is eye-opening.

While writing this article, I decided to ask my classmates how they felt when they first came to BIM. Among them, Charley G. 27’ shared that “there are so many things we celebrate here that aren’t celebrated,” when comparing the culture of public schools to that of BIM. Charley goes on to say, “There are all these holidays that are just forgotten.” He also states that “you never know about these things, [and] you never know the traditions of them until you experience them.”

From the lower school to the upper school, the bright colors on the walls and in the classrooms carry the connections of our interests and backgrounds. Our catalog of hobbies, ideas, and cultures, brings us together. Each different character contributes to our tight-knit, diverse community. Each different character brings us closer to creating a tight-knit, diverse community.