The Student News Site of BASIS Independent McLean

The BIM Bulletin

• August 31Welcome red-tailed hawks! Send your stories, pics, and art to [email protected].

The BIM Bulletin

The BIM Bulletin

Four School Days in One Week?!

In a post pandemic world, a student considers the benefits of time off.
Original Art by Elisa M.

We all look forward to a three-day weekend, so . . . what if this instance was made permanent? Several school districts throughout the nation have implemented a four-day week following the disruptions caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
Such a significant change necessitates careful consideration, though. How would BIM students and teachers be affected by this change? How would parents have to adjust to their students’ new schedules? What are some factors in this new change, and what could be some alternatives instead? If a four-day school week were to become a reality, a four-day work week might follow. How might education and society transform as a result?
Across the U.S., about two-thirds of school districts have already adopted a new academic schedule of a four-day school week. Each district added a certain amount of time to each day—ranging from 30-50 extra minutes to the school day schedule—to be able to comply with their state laws of a certain amount of school hours per month. Students and teachers have benefited from this schedule change as they can have this extra day to do chores, spend time with family and friends, and catch up with work. Moreover, extra hours of sleep have allowed students to be better prepared for the upcoming school days, resulting in more success in school.
With the positive effects taken into consideration, we can turn the page towards the negative effects of a four-day school week.When districts across the U.S. adopted the new academic schedule, it was found that, in comparison to five-day school week, a four-day week provides fewer hours of class time per class, even if extra hours are added to the days. Over a longer period of time, students can learn more with a five-day rather than a four-day school week.
Since BIM is a K-12 school, we would also have to consider how this change would affect primary school students and their parents. Even though it has been reported that younger children have been getting more sleep, parents still have to go to work and can’t leave their children home alone. To avoid running into this issue, some alternatives could be implemented. For example, instead of not having school on that day, it could be used for activities that improve skills like team building, time management, creative thinking, and problem-solving. Another alternative would be to have late arrival or early release on the chosen day. During that day, students would participate in different activities based on their grade level; primary school students could have creativity improving activities, and secondary school students could make use of activities for the skills listed above
At BIM, this extra day off would probably have a similar effect between students and teachers. I interviewed current BIM students on how they would feel school-wise if they were to have a longer weekend. Grace A. ‘26 mentioned that on the day that we wouldn’t have school she would “be able to work more efficiently and concentrate more when [she] is alone.” Brayden B. ‘27 said that one less day is great because “[he] gets to do the things that [he] likes more rather than coming back to school.” In addition, I also asked the students how they thought this change would affect them positively and negatively. “An extra day off would be less stressful because you can reset and get a break from the school environment,” stated Grace. Brayden agreed and added that “[he] would do better in school because [he] would have more time to get [his] mind off of school.”
I asked Mr. Warlick, the high school dean, and Dr. Blaney, a high school teacher and parent of a current BIM student, how this change would affect them.They both shared similar responses. Compared to the responses the students came up with, Mr. Warlick said he believes an extra day off from school is unnecessary because “some students need the extra socialization away from home.” However, he did say that if we were to implement a four-day school week, then Wednesday would be the best option because it would be a “breather-day” where all members of the school community can prepare for the rest of their school week. Dr. Blaney had a similar opinion; he said that Wednesdays were preferable since they would “allow [him] to prepare lessons for Thursdays and Fridays with more time.” Dr. Blaney added that, as a parent, a four-day school week is not necessary because a five-day school week “keeps the students productively occupied all day.”
Overall, there’s a great spectrum of perspectives on a possible shift to a four-day school week. There are many merits to switching to a four-day week, but sticking to the status quo and keeping a five day week would probably be the most beneficial.

Works Cited

Czachor, Emily Mae. “More U.S. School Districts Are Shifting to a 4-Day Week. Here’s Why. – CBS News.” Www.cbsnews.com, 7 Aug. 2023.
Irving, Doug. “A Four-Day School Week? Here Are the Costs and Benefits.” Www.rand.org, 31 Aug. 2023, www.rand.org/blog/rand-review/2023/08/a-four-day-school-week-here-are-the-costs-and-benefits.html.
Lambert, Diana. “Four-Day School Week Gaining Popularity Nationally. Why Isn’t It Happening in California?” EdSource, 26 Jan. 2023.
Thompson, Paul N., et al. “Are All Four-Day School Weeks Created Equal? A National Assessment of Four-Day School Week Policy Adoption and Implementation.” Education Finance and Policy, vol. 16, no. 4, 14 May 2020, pp. 1–50, https://doi.org/10.1162/edfp_a_00316.