The Student News Site of BASIS Independent McLean

The BIM Bulletin

• August 31Welcome red-tailed hawks! Send your stories, pics, and art to [email protected].

The BIM Bulletin

The BIM Bulletin

Library Open at Last: Student Help Wanted!

Small, yet stacked with an abundance of information, the long-awaited Upper School library has officially opened. All students in grades 5 through 12 can now borrow books! Our collection includes academic books and books for pleasure reading.

This library is a sort of preliminary one. With a location on the third floor just outside the reading room, the library space is easily accessible by middle and high school students. In the coming years, the library is expected to grow. Ideally, this space and limited book supply are only temporary.

We are piloting the student-run aspect of the library. If you are in grades 9 to 12 and have at least 1 hour of free time from Monday to Friday–before school, after school, or during your lunch period–sign up for the library commission. Here is the link to sign up.

The initiative was spearheaded by the 2022-2023 BIM Bulletin staff, but the library commission is currently led by Grace A. ‘26 and Paloma M. ‘23. We are working on a visual style for the library and seek help from our peers. The library’s appearance is a work in progress. Place any decorative contributions you might have in the box near the main entrance.

This library holds a grand variety of book genres, from test prep and textbooks all the way to literary works and fictional stories. The library has books to help you study! We also have books to help avoid studying! Stop by the next time you’re outside the Reading Room and check out a book.

For more information, visit the BIM library’s website

To borrow books:

1. Check the library hours here, or check the hours on the whiteboards near the library (updated daily) to see if the library is open.
  2. Go to the library.
  3. Find a book to read on one of the bookshelves. If you are looking for a specific book, skip to step 4 and step 5.
  4. Find a library staff member sitting at the library table in front of the bookshelves. 
  5. Ask the me mber of the library to check our database if we currently have that book.
  6. The member of the library will explain how to check out a book to you.
  7. Enjoy your book!
To return a book:

1. Go to the library.
  2. Look next to the bookshelves to find a box labeled “returns.”
  3. Place your book(s) in the box labeled returns, and you’re all set!