The Student News Site of BASIS Independent McLean

The BIM Bulletin

• August 31Welcome red-tailed hawks! Send your stories, pics, and art to [email protected].

The BIM Bulletin

The BIM Bulletin

Navigating the Close-Knit Community of BIM

A New Student’s Guide to Fitting In and Thriving

It is hard coming to a new school, especially when everyone already knows each other. Everyone wants to fit in, become friends with fellow students, have inside jokes, and not end up getting lost in a friendly conversation. But being new makes that hard. 

Most school years, up to half of the BIM ninth grade class consists of new students.  However, in time, we find our place, and we make friends with other students, with whom we create inside jokes. I won’t say it will be easy, but unlike public school, it will be a whole lot less stressful due to the special community here at BIM. So, just put yourself out there.

Indeed, it is a daunting endeavor to immerse yourself in BIM, where conversations often revolve around past BIM experiences, teachers, and students, leaving newcomers feeling like outsiders, lost in a sea of unfamiliar references. I can relate to this because, just like many of you, I was once a new student in this environment. Therefore, I’d like to offer a piece of advice that can significantly ease this transition: don’t hesitate to ask questions. Questions such as, “Who is ___?” or “Did they attend here last year?” These inquiries demystify the ongoing conversations and provide you with valuable context. People within the BIM community are more than willing to answer your questions, and you should take mental notes about the information, which will help you in the long run in understanding what people are talking about. Additionally, don’t underestimate the value of reaching out to other new students; you’ll quickly discover that you are not alone in your feelings.

Amidst these challenges, one aspect that often surprises newcomers to the BIM world is the remarkable closeness of the community. Unlike the typical high school experience, where students often form distinct cliques, in BIM, everyone tends to be closely interconnected. While this doesn’t mean you won’t encounter the occasional person you might not click with, it does mean that you’ll be unlikely to find yourself entangled in drama warfare. Last year, everyone in my grade was part of a group chat where we exchanged questions, shared study materials, discussed classes, or simply engaged in friendly conversation. If you had a question, someone would typically respond within a mere ten minutes. As big tests, such as the Comprehensive exams, approached, students would gather on Google Meets and play Blookets together. It’s worth highlighting that the willingness to assist one another extends to the teachers as well.

Stepping into the realm of BIM can indeed be challenging, but it is a journey filled with opportunities for growth and connection. By proactively seeking answers to your questions, forging bonds with fellow newcomers, and tapping into the supportive network that encompasses both students and teachers, you can expedite your integration into this tight-knit community. Your BIM experience surpasses academics, emphasizing the cultivation of strong relationships and the fostering of a sense of belonging.